Sunday, October 23, 2011

Apple Crisp - the winning recipe for this family!



Apple Crisp

What do you do when you have too many apples?  Apples are in season and I cannot resist buying the beauties when I am at the store. The bright colors, the fresh crisp look, the feel of their shape and basically everything about them shout the arrival of fall.  I buy them and arrange them on my table to herald that the change of the season has begun!  Then......I don't eat them! They look so beautiful sitting there and then they start to look a bit like cousins of raisins!  Yesterday I baked apples, today an apple crisp!

I have an apple peeler but I find it soothing to sit and peel them with my little paring knife instead. I lose myself in my thoughts while I am peeling. I usually pour some water in a bowl and add a couple of tablespoons of lemon juice to the water to keep the apples from turning brown while I am peeling.

Here are the ingredients I use for my apple crisp.  Nutmeg is part of the recipe too but a couple of weeks ago I went to http://www.mccormick.com/Spices101/HowOldSpices.aspx and checked out the age of all of my spices and my  nutmeg had expired several years ago! I had a couple of tins of McCormick spices that were over 20 years old! I keep forgetting to pick up nutmeg at the store so I didn't include it in my recipe today. I don't really feel you have to have it anyway in this Apple Crisp.

This is my favorite measuring cup. It has been around all of my life. It belonged to my Grandmother. Both of my Grandmothers had measuring cups like this one and my Mom still has her set of them! I love the feel of it knowing my Grandmother used it so many times before me as her hands lovingly prepared treats for her family.

I love the dings and dents on this old measuring cup and I can still remember the little tab handle that is long-gone. I can remember exactly where my grandmother kept her measuring cups and the smell of the drawer in her kitchen. I don't know why it had a smell. It wasn't unpleasant. It was just a wooden drawer that held her measuring cups, her pecan crusher and little metal pecan cleaning tools to get every little bit of shell wedged into the form of pecans. The drawer also held  little ice cube tongs that had claw shapes for picking up the ice. I never saw her use them to pick up ice cubes but I always thought those tongs were neat. Memories again. That is what cooking and baking does for me!

Stir together the flour, oats, brown sugar, cinnamon and raisins

Pour the melted butter over the mixture and stir.

Arrange your apples in a dish sprayed with Pam and cover the apples with your crumb mixture. It should be a bit lumpy looking. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes.

Here is the result - Apple Crisp! We have used this recipe since my son was in second grade. He picked it out of a cookbook, made it and took it to the county fair the following day. He won first place in his division and advanced on to the Home Economics auction. He made another fresh apple crisp the night of the auction and we put the dish into a beautiful basket. I can see him now standing there so proudly holding his apple crisp smiling as the bids got higher and higher.  He ended up getting $250.00 for his apple crisp and was the happiest 2nd grader in the building! He graduated from college last December so that is how long we have been making this dessert.  It really is a winning recipe. The aroma fills the house and everyone wants a bit of it when it is warm. The apples melt in your mouth and then every few bites you get a chewy raisin full of sweetness. The buttery flavor mixed with the oats is indescribable! All you need is a glass of milk! My husband searched frantically for ice cream in the freezer tonight but there was none to be found! He thought it was the end of the world until he sat down and ate it by itself and rolled his eyes with pleasure after swallowing the first bite! No ice cream needed!

Apple Crisp
4 C sliced apples (with or without peel)
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup flour
1 cup oats
1 cup butter, melted
1tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 cup raisins

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 8x8x2 inch pan. Cut apples into slices and arrange in  pan. Measure remaining ingredients and mix with melted butter. Mix well and pour over apples.  Bake 30 minutes or until topping is golden brown and apples are tender. Serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment